Saturday 14 March 2009

My favourite places (Scotland)

Burg estate, Mull

Absolutely stunning walk to a 'fossilised tree' through the Burg estate. Very long walk in along coast but well worth it for the feeling of being in the wilderness. Walk involved a scary iron rung ladder vertically down a cliff (the old one had rusted and just been left in place with the new, equally rusty one over the top). Actually fossilised tree was a bit disappointing (stolen by bounty hunters). As well as the ladder scare with my fear of heights I also came across a pool of fresh blood on the track which freaked me out, but had heard shots earlier and seen some guys in a RIB, when I peered over the edge of the cliff there was a dead cow on its back, legs in air. Not nice.

Painting inspired by Kintra

From Kintra campsite, Islay


My painting


On the road to Khylerhea, Skye.

This is one of my favourite photos ever. On the road to the otter hide at Khylerhea where I was also staying in a cottage. Used this photo for one of my paintings.
Loch Long, Argyll
Did a dive in this loch, having seen other divers going in and having stuff in car. Bottom about 30m. Not sure we really saw a lot, but got some mussels and attempted to cook on the camping stove.

From top of Sgurr nan Gillean, Skye.
This was a very scary munro. I cried with fear. The summit was about the size of a dining table and I could only crouch on it I was so scared!
Loch Buie, Mull

Bizarrely just further up the beach there were snowy patches, and later the weather changed dramatically despite this being a nice sunny photo.

I'm doing lots of posting today as am at home and internet connection is much better for uploading photos than my mobile dongly thing. As those of you who know me well know my absolute favourite place is Scotland. And I want to be a GP on a scottish island. In fact, I think I lived in Scotland in a past life. So far, island wise, have been to Orkney, Mull and Staffa, Islay and Colonsay, Aran, Skye (if that counts as an island with a bridge) and Raasay, Bute. Next stop Outer Hebrides I feel and ultimate goal is St Kilda! My absolute favourite place so far I think is Mull. Stunning. Otters (running in the road), eagles, seals, red deer. Amazing topography, not much there (a six-bed hospital I have my eye on), single track roads. My family clan (on my mum's side) orginate from Loch Buie on Mull. Here are some of my favourite photos of the west coast/islands to inspire you all to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment